Tuesday 1 July 2014

Ramadhan Diaries: Day 03 & Chocolate Cake Recipe!!

RAMADHAN DIARIES: DAY 03

Hellooo Jemples and as you probably guessed by the bold, capitalised heading (I mean it's pretty obvious, I really should stop with these typical intros) this post is my Ramadhan diary day 03, like I mentioned in my diary yesterday that you guys are totally loving these diaries and the recipes that come with it. I actually find it quite funny that when I started these diaries I wrote that the recipes would be very less, in fact I was planning on just doing 1 or 2 recipes through the whole of Ramadhan. But Alas! Life planned something else it planned struggles, the daily struggle of COOKING! Now I know a lot of you at this point are like what the hell is she complaining about, she makes some amazing stuff! Well to be totally honest I'm a really bad cook but Ramadhan has opened up my eyes and taught me that I'm not that bad of a cook (after a lot of practicing of course!) Enough babbling on let me get to day 3 and how it's been, surprisingly it's actually gone quite fast (OMG I never thought I'd say that I was thinking that the days will drag on forever!). For Sehri I didn't have Weetabix, oh no! I can't be having something I'm not liking anymore so I opted for the more desi of options roti & salan (chapatti & curry) and of course do I even need to say my banana, but even though I ate quite a bit I'm actually feeling really hungry (it didn't help that something yummy was cooking in my oven!) and thirsty today. Iftaar was amazing I ate homemade chips and fish fingers, there's just something about homemade chips they taste absolutely amazing! And of course my mango cheesecake desert which I'm not bragging or anything but was so yummy that me and my family ate it all! It's such a light desert that has just a small hint of mango so definitely try it out! So what's todays recipe well it's another desert! I actually was thinking of making something different but since it's my dads birthday today we decided to make a chocolate cake for the first time in our lives! I've gotta admit this recipe is really simple and it doesn't really matter if the cakes don't come out as planned because the decoration is more messy types!
 
CHOCOLATELY CHOCOLATE (& VANILLA) CAKE
 
Ingredients I changed a lot of these from the original recipe just because of the products I had at home, of course you can substitute and change the amounts based on preference and obviously the amount of cake you want to make. With these ingredients I managed to bake two 7 inch cakes.
 
150ml Sunflower oil
150ml of plain yoghurt
175g of brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon of jam (any flavour & type)
225g of Self Raising flour
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I used hot chocolate powder)
1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
175g of milk chocolate
50g of butter
7 inch cake tins (I used two disposable ones so that it saved time washing up!)
Betty Crockers Vanilla icing (you can use chocolate)
White chocolate buttons & icing sugar (for decoration)
 
1. Add the brown sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt, jam into a large bowl and whisk until the eggs have been properly beaten.


2. Sift in all the dry ingredients (flour, bicarbonate of soda & cocoa powder) and make sure the mixture is properly whisked.


3. Grease the cake tins and put in the mixture, if your using more than one cake tin like me then make sure the mixture is pretty evenly put into both. Place these in the oven (gas mark 3) for approximately 1 hour. The time it stays in the oven depends entirely on the speed of your oven. (quick tip if you think it's baked poke a knife into it and if it comes out clean then that means it is properly baked. Wow I sound like a propa Chef!)




4. Once it's baked it'll look something like this, take them out of the oven and leave them to cool for about 10 minutes on a wiring rack.
 
 
5. Whilst that's cooling, it's time to prepare the chocolate icing to spread on the top of the cake. Melt the chocolate and the butter together until it looks like this.
 
6. Once the cake has cooled spread an even layer of vanilla (or chocolate) icing over the top. The Betty Crocker one not the one you've just made! This will be used to stick both the layers together. BTW if you're just making one cake then skip steps 6 & 7
 
7. Once you've spread the icing put the cakes on top of one another and fill in any gaps around the edge using the leftover vanilla icing.
 
8. Now it's time to spread the chocolate icing we've made over the top. You can be as messy as you want! And stick on the white chocolate buttons.
 
9. If you've got buttons left over melt them and then drizzle them over the top (that's what I did!) and also sprinkle over just a bit of icing sugar. Viola! Your quick and easy chocolate cake is made, see I told you it's really easy!!
 


So Jemples I hope you enjoy this recipe and find it really easy to make especially if it's your first time like mine! Do comment and let me know if you're liking these daily diaries and I hopefully promise that I'll be back with another post tomorrow and recipe (probably a savoury one!) Bye bye until next time Jemples xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr